With a love of good food and a passion for cooking, today we asked Danielle Levinson, owner of Teach Us To Cook to share her favourite autumn recipe to cook with us. Her career has lead her on many different paths. From teaching in prestigious cookery schools to teaching teenagers and young adults who face challenges with mental health. Which has been particularly rewarding.
Duke of Edinburgh Award
From structured cookery courses for the Duke of Edinburgh Award where teenagers come together to learn the basics of cookery. That encompass knife skills, pan frying, sauces and soups, to fun filled cookery parties. Danielle encourage students to choose from her huge repertoire of world cuisine. Following on from her extensive travels around the world. This has greatly influenced her cookery, exotic curries from Southern India to refreshing and healthy soups and summer rolls from Vietnam.
Her favourite recipe changes according to the seasons. At the moment it is a vegan autumn recipe heralding from southern India. An aubergine rasavangi that consists of a fragrant curry paste base, used to coat tomatoes, aubergines and red lentils, finished off with sizzling slivers of fresh garlic and red chili. A perfect comforting meal as the nights draw in and there is a chili in the air.
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 4 salad tomatoes
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs pal sugar or jagaree
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoon asafoetida
- 200 grm red lentils
- Two red chillies
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tablespoon veg oil
- Small handful of fresh coriander to garnish
- Cube both the aubergine and tomatoes into approximately one inch squared
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, peel and finely dice the onion. Deseed and finely slice the red chilies and finely chop the coriander
- To a small saucepan add the red lentils and cover with water and a good pinch of water. Over a medium heat, allow water to completely absorb, turn heat off, apply heat and allow to steam. This will take around 10 mins
- In the meantime to a large non stick frying pan add the oil. Then the mustard seeds and on a medium heat. Allow mustard seeds to pop before adding the coriander and turmeric and asafoetida
- Then add the onions and HALF the red chillies and allow to soften completely before adding the aubergines. Cook the aubergines for a further 10 minutes until completely cooked through. Before adding the tomatoes. Cook these for a 3-4 mins, before stirring through the steam red lentils and sweeten with palm sugar to taste
- Turn out into a serving dish
- In a small saucepan add a couple of tbs of veg oil and heat up. Do this before adding the remaining red chillies and garlic, allow the chilli to soften and garlic to brown slightly. Then add the garlic and chilli and oil they have been cooking in as this has plenty of flavour. Pour over the dahl/veg mix, sprinkle over some coriander to garnish and serve.
Recipe from Teach Us To Cook by Danielle Levinson
SS20 at Aynhoe Park: https://www.jameslakeland.net/blog/ss20-at-aynhoe-park/ A hidden Treasure in Tuscany: https://www.jameslakeland.net/blog/a-hidden-treasure-in-the-heart-of-tuscany/